From a plaque hanging in the entryway of the church.

As we look back on the history of the Grace Baptist Church, we see that the church had a different beginning than most churches. After the morning service on April 29, 1897, a business meeting was called to discuss the possibility of starting a bible believing church. those who were interested were asked to raise their hand. Eight raised their hands. They were: Mr. & Mrs. J.A. Sjoberg, Mrs. Caroline Erickson, Mrs. Carrie Selena, Inga Sina Goldberg, Anna Johnson, Emma Carlson, and J.D. Johnson. These eight became the charter members of the First Baptist Church of Anaconda. The church was incorporated in May of 1902. There was enough interest by July of 1897 that the Baptists decided to have evening services as well. The first evening service was held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hoe Forsman at 706 W. 3rd Street. Since none of the Scandinavian groups had a church building of their own, the following groups got together and built a church. The built the church on the southeast corner of 5th and Cedar streets. The groups were: The Mission Friends, Scandinavian Lutherans, Norwegian Lutherans, Scandinavian Methodists, the Scandinavian Baptists. The church was call the Scandinavian Union Church. The church was completed in 1896. In 1902 the Swedish Baptists paid the Methodists $300.00 for their share in the union church. In May of 1904 the Lutherans denied the Baptists the use of the union church. After talking with theie lawyer, the Swedish Baptists offered the Scandinavian Lutherans $1,300.00 for their share in the union church. The Lutherans accepted the offer. After about seven years of talking, the Swedish Baptists became the sole owners of the Scandinavian Union Church.